Today is Father’s Day and I made these cupcakes for this occasion, although these don’t particularly look too masculine, in fact they look pretty much all girly 😀
Well, I take all the blame for it 🙂 I made these cupcakes for my children’s father, so I am hiding behind my children’s back, I look through their eyes, and from there I see pretty colourful rainbow flowers, and I think That’s OK! And who said that Fathers can’t have rainbow flower cupcakes? Exactly!
Usually I make my carrot cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese icing, but this time I switched to lemon instead. Very good decision, they taste wonderful!
-1 and 1/2 cup flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
– pinch of salt
– 1 tsp mixed spices (with cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger…)
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 3/4 cup melted unsalted butter
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 2 Tbsp plain yogurt
– 1 large egg
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 and 1/2 cup grated carrots
– 1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:
– 250 g Mascarpone cream cheese
– zest of 1 lemon
– fresh lemon juice
– icing sugar (about 3-4 Tbsp, but depending on personal taste)
1. Preheat your oven and line your cupcake tin with the cupcake cases.
2. In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and mixed spices, set aside.
3. In a larger bowl whisk together sugar, egg, melted butter, vanilla extract, yogurt. Stir in the carrots and pecan nuts. Gradually add dry ingredients to the butter mixture until well combined.
4. Divide evenly among the cupcake cases and bake for about 20-25 minutes.
5. Let them cool on a wire rack before icing.
6. Put the Mascarpone cream cheese in a bowl, add sugar and lemon zest, whisk together. Gradually add lemon juice. Taste occasionally to check whether it needs more sugar or lemon.
7. Spread evenly on your cold cupcakes.